Wantage Market Garden
Wantage Market Garden is a safe, calm space that is ran in partnership with Wantage Community Support Service and Sustainable Wantage.
People we support, people we employ and volunteers have transformed a dilapidated area into a thriving garden, which produces flowers, vegetables and fruit. Wantage Market Garden is a beautiful, peaceful space where people can enjoy growing their own flowers, fruit and vegetables to take home. A team of volunteers from all walks of life maintains the garden. Inclusivity and empowerment is key to the project’s success.
During the week
People with learning disabilities and autism attend the garden so that they can enjoy the therapeutic benefits of gardening. We employ a Gardening Coordinator to deliver sessions at the garden and oversee our wider Gardening Project.
The benefits of gardening at Wantage Market Garden are numerous for the people we support. They include:
- learning and developing gardening skills
- understanding the benefits of growing your own produce and healthy eating
- taking part in activities that benefit mental and physical wellbeing
- understanding about wildlife friendly gardening
- being part of a team and building confidence and friendships
- gaining work experience and training through ASDAN courses and our Green Acre social enterprise
At the weekend
Community gardening takes place every Sunday at the garden. Come rain or shine, the team of volunteers garden, do DIY and socialise. We are so grateful to this brilliant team managed by Sustainable Wantage, who help to maintain the garden season after season.
There are plenty of ways to get involved at the garden! Do you have gardening skills? Then why not do something really positive and come along to support sessions for people with learning disabilities and autism. Or you could join the team of sociable weekend volunteers through Sustainable Wantage and help maintain this beautiful space. We also welcome corporate volunteering groups to help with big gardening jobs.
Other ways to get involved include our seasonal plant sales where you can stock up on all sorts of goodies for your own garden, or you can donate to the garden to help with running costs like compost, tools and other materials.
- Volunteering: Apply now or contact the team on email@example.com / call 01491 827593.
- Corporate volunteer groups: Contact the team on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Keep an eye out for the next plant sale on our events page
- Join the Wantage Market Garden Facebook group
- Read the Garden Leaflet to find out more
- Learn more about Sustainable Wantage